Director of NICU
Alachua, FL US
MUST BE Level III NICU experienced!!
Director of NICU Job Description:
Responsible for overall management of the day-to-day operation of the NICU. Specific responsibilities include: Performance Improvement; policies and procedures; staffing/productivity; program development; and nursing care. Must work closely with staff, physicians, and other managers to ensure quality patient care. Guides the staff in the implementation of the nursing process and directs the cost effective allocation of resources.
Director of NICU Requirements:
Director of NICU EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
BSN required. MSN preferred.
Director of NICU EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
3 to 5 years hospital NICU nursing experience to include leadership experience.
Director of NICU SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrated success and abilities in leadership, achieving results, communication, customer service and health case management.
Director of NICU LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION:
RN license in the State of Florida. BLS, NRP, STABLE
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
1. Maintains current knowledge of health care trends and nursing practice.
2. Makes rounds routinely with physicians.
3. Uses Facility Scheduler for staffing-related functions and works collaboratively with PCCS/staffing office coordinator to meet staffing needs.
4. Serves as clinical consultant for staff in the delivery of patient care.
5. Demonstrates effective leadership and care in emergency situations.
6. Contributes to the innovation of nursing practice and applies research findings as appropriate.
7. Incorporates population specific national standards of nursing practice and care.
8. Maintains patient care units that are consistently and aesthetically pleasing.
9. Defines in writing the scope of services for the clinical unit.
10. Reviews and makes recommendations, in writing, to the Chief Nursing Officer on an annual basis covering the following:
¨ Scope of care
¨ Standards of Care and Standards of Practice
11. Provides leadership and direction for staffing in accordance with the organizational goals and objectives.
12. Assumes authority, accountability and responsibility for the formal and informal direction of others.
13. Demonstrates the ability to create, initiate, and integrate new concepts and practices to improve nursing care and/or employee satisfaction.
14. Demonstrates receptiveness to and leads the implementation of change/new ideas.
15. Uses measurement and analysis with objectivity and foresight to make decisions.
16. Uses a systematic problem-solving process to make sound decisions in a timely manner
17. Accepts and makes changes based on constructive criticism.
18. Integrates the department/service into the organization's primary functions.
19. Develops and implements policies and procedures which relate to the particular nursing specialty and integrates standards of care into unit operations.
20. Organizes, directs, and staffs the department/service in a manner commensurate with the scope of services offered.
¨ Participates in recruitment activities.
¨ Interviews and selects appropriate categories of personnel in accordance with operational policy.
¨ Plans daily coverage according to patient needs and personnel ability.
¨ Makes provisions to cover emergency situations.
¨ Recommends changes in master staffing plan in accordance with identified needs of the unit(s).
21. Maintains overall accountability/responsibility for staffing the unit(s) during all hours of operation.
22. Demonstrates accountability and effectiveness in adherence to staffing guidelines.
23. Demonstrates clinical expertise and/or working knowledge necessary to function as a role model.
24. Directs patient care activities of all personnel.
25. Demonstrates an active and positive role in evaluating staff performance and work related attributes.
¨ Counsels employees and provides documentation of exemplary and unsatisfactory work performance in timely manner (at time of occurrence), assuring appropriate follow-up.
¨ Plans and supervises an individualized orientation for new employees.
¨ Determines need and provides for in-service and continuing education of staff.
¨ Assures Department/Unit education based on:
o Patient population served and nature of service.
o Individual staff member needs.
o Information from QA/QI
o New technology, therapy or service
o Findings from employee appraisals
o Findings from peer review
o Plant, technology, safety program
o Findings from infection control committee
o Unit goals, objectives and standards
o Unit problems and resolutions
¨ Assures an evaluation of the in-service programs including program objectives, effectiveness and meeting the needs of the staff.
26. Assesses and improves the performance of care and services through involvement in the performance improvement plan.
27. Forwards relevant information to the appropriate person(s) responsible for coordinating organization-wide performance improvement activities.
For more information, please contact: