Director of Engineering--NPD
Greater Milwaukee, WI US
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will lead a significant team of engineers and responsible for the technical welfare of multiple product lines by assessing ongoing technologies, competitive product features, go-to-market strategy, product positioning, key benefits and target customers while leading a development team to develop new innovative product solutions to ensure improved sales, profitability, quality and brand image. Strong communication is required to communicate with all areas of the company and with the sales channel and key customers while being the internal and external evangelist for your product offerings.
Your team will work with the VP of Engineering in maintaining and continuously improving the department infrastructure and processes. This would include NPD, project management, internal and external customer interaction, ECR process improvement and over-all department metrics. LEADERSHIP is the key.
• Business Requirements:
• Responsible for driving assigned strategic development and commercialization for new products.
• Facilitates the working cross-functionally with Procurement, Marketing, Sales and other key functional areas to develop and implement product line strategies designed to generate growth.
• Must understand brand positioning and translating the learning into product offerings that are relevant to customers and differentiated from competitors.
• Articulate customer needs to provide clear direction for design, product development and advertising.
• Framing key strategic issues that impact the product line and making strategic choices that will provide a competitive advantage.
• Responsible to perform not only qualitative, but quantitative research as well regarding the management, trends, productivity, sales, and profitability.
• Defining, developing and bringing to market new products that fit overall strategy.
• Coordinating development, implementation, and execution of product plans with Sales, Finance, Marketing and Operations. Delivering new products on cost, on time, and on quality.
• Defining, developing product strategy for core items, including optimizing the product line for profitability, SKU management and forecasting demand.
• Understands strategy of key customers and working with Sales in the creation of product programs. Directing, coordinating and supporting the roll out of these programs for marketing introduction of new products and discontinuation of existing products.
• Coordinating with Marketing to assist in the product management effort, including, photography, packaging, design, printing and website.
• Actively participate in and conduct market analysis through customer meetings.
• Interfaces with the industry and ensures that the product line is appropriately communicated to the market
• Technical Requirements:
• Assist in creating all design specifications (component, sub-system, and system specs which may require soliciting data from service, sales, and operations)
• Must lead New Product development process and take ownership of project schedule (includes plans for field test units, lab builds, and pilot builds)
• Ensure the design of critical/long lead-time components progress without delaying the project schedule
• Collaborate with Electrical/Software engineers on product functions/interfaces
• Collaborate with marketing / chefs to implement new cooking technologies and the required unit functions.
• Identify together with manufacturing new manufacturing technologies, techniques and processes.
• Mediate the product design as the product leader through guidance of the engineering team as needed
• Assist test engineer with evaluating samples and oversee finished product testing standards
• Responsible that product design can be manufactured with new manufacturing technologies introduced.
• Responsible to overview that in house manufactured parts as well as purchase parts can be manufactured with new technologies.
• Responsible for overall quality and performance of finished product.
• Identify how to avoid competitor patents and if possible create new patented technology which can be protected for Alto Shaam.
• Must lead design team to finish complete product line design and keep track of project deadlines.
• Take direction from supervisor that may require doing whatever it takes to advance the development of the project
• EDUCATION / SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering discipline or similar required
• 10 years experience in a manufacturing environment
• Must have five (5) years experience in product management for a commercial products company
• Excellent documentation skills and oral communication skills between other departments
• Strong technical & analytical ability to evaluate designs, troubleshoot equipment and customer complaints. .
• Posses leadership skills to be able to identify bottlenecks in the development workflow and implement corrective actions
• Strong knowledge and previous work experience in developing new, innovative products
• Previous experience with new product development
• Strong communication, presentation, computer and analytical skills, ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to travel